This is an information that the VIAC Secretariat remains operational and at your service. As we have to adapt on a daily basis, this information is updated regularly.
The following measures have been taken to safeguard your health and that of our staff while still ensuring our services.
- The case management is fully operational due to our electronic case management system that was introduced in 2019.
- We are working remotely to the extent possible with daily joint calls to plan and coordinate.
- Postal mail is checked regularly by a team member at our premises.
- VIAC encourages parties to submit all written submissions, and any supporting documentation, including witness statements and expert reports, electronically, acc. to Article 12 para. 2 Vienna Rules. Arbitrators and Mediators are also encouraged to use electronic copies of case-related documents.
- We remain available if you need to speak with one of our case managers, your call is being forwarded to us. In case this does not work, please send us an e-mail including your contact details so we can call you back.
- For the time being, postal service and DHL are still working in Austria but this might change in future. The VIAC Secretariat may send a copy of the arbitral award in electronic form in certain cases. Article 36 para 5 Vienna Rules was clarified in this respect with effect from 1 April 2020. A detailed commentary on this new version as well as general information on how VIAC arbitration proceedings are conducted in COVID times can be found in the following article Fremuth-Wolf, Auswirkungen der COVID-19-Krise auf VIAC-Schiedsverfahren, ecolex 2020 (in print – in German only).
This is a global situation that affects all of us, and collaboration and sharing of good ideas should be encouraged.